We recently helped a Dublin marketing company recover data from their Western Digital EX2 My Cloud Personal Storage drive. The NAS device was no longer recognised on their network. Unfortunately, it stored marketing materials for several clients stored on it which was not backed up elsewhere. File types which needed recovery included .INDD files (InDesign), .PSD (PhotoShop), .HTML, .MOV and .JPEG files. They really needed these files salvaged and fast!
While WD My Cloud storage devices are popular and relatively reliable, occasionally things can go wrong.
Why your WD My Cloud NAS is no longer recognised
- The EXT4 file system which your My Cloud device is using has gone corrupt.
- The RAID array has degraded. Depending on your model of My Cloud, some of these devices can be put in RAID configurations of 0,1,5,10 or in JBOD mode. When the RAID array fails or degrades the My Cloud device will no longer be recognised by your network or on client computers.
- One or more of your disks has head disk assembly issues.
- One or more of the disks has firmware issues which is causing your device to be unrecognised.
- One or more of the disks have extensive bad sector issues.
- Your My Cloud device may have a damaged PCB (controller board) due to a power surge.
In this particular case, the users tried to access their My Cloud data but kept on receiving the error message:
“We’ve detected that you may not be able to recognize the device on your network”.
The 6TB disk (WD60EFRX) which we removed from their My Cloud EX2 device had firmware issues and extensive bad sectors. We first resolved the firmware issues (corrupt translator) and then proceeded to resolve the bad sector issues. We succeeded in an 98% recovery rate. The workflow of our delighted client was not interrupted and their reputation for delivering quality work, on-time was kept intact.
Need to retrieve data from a My Cloud drive? Drive Rescue Data Recovery Dublin (Ireland) offer a complete data recovery for all WD My Cloud NAS devices, including the DL4100, DL2100, EX4, EX2 Ultra, Mirror Gen2, WD My Cloud Mirror and PR2100. Phone us on 1890 571 571 or visit www.datarecoverydublin.ie or www.nasrecovery.ie